Foam rollers have become a revelation when it comes to muscle care pre and post workout. But how do you use a foam roller on your glutes after a killer session in the gym. House of Peach explains below.
by CHLOE ALEXANDER on
December 5, 2021
What is a foam roller?
A foam roller is a piece of exercise equipment designed to soothe the muscles, stimulate circulation, and relieve any existing tensions in the body during exercise. A foam roller can also be used as a piece of support equipment during various types of glute exercises, so it’s a handy investment if you’re in the business of getting your peach in tip top condition.
Some foam rollers even claim to be able to help temporarily reduce the appearance of cellulite, due to the stimulation of the skin that occurs when the roller moves along the body. All in all, it’s a great little tool to add to your glute exercise arsenal.
How to use a foam roller on your glutes
You can use your foam roller in a number of ways, either directly or as a support equipment. The main usage of a foam roller for your glutes is to relieve buttock pain when it occurs after workouts. Watch the video below and learn 3 ways in which you can use a foam roller to alleviate buttock pain.
Foam Roller Exercises
Using a foam roller for actual exercise can help work the glutes, hamstrings, and quads all at the same time whilst improving your core and balance. The glute muscles are often hard to isolate, so using the foam roller can help you focus your workout solely on your glutes.
Exercise 1: Traditional Gluteal Roll, step by step
1. Begin by sitting on your foam roller with one leg outstretched in front of you and the other leg bent at the knee with your foot on the ground.
2. With one hand on the floor for balance (the hand which corresponds to the hip you’re going to roll) lean back and start to roll slowly back and forth on the foam roller.
3. After rolling with your glutes on the foam roller, remain seated but turn onto your side and continue rolling in the same position. This movement helps target the sides of your glutes.
4. Repeat this movement for around 20-30 repetitions, letting your glutes burn a little.
Exercise 2: Foam Roller Bridge & Leg Lift, step by step
1. Place the foam roller at the end of your exercise mat, at the opposite end of where your head will be.
2. Lay down on the exercise mat, place your hands at your sides and press your back into the matt. Place your feet onto the foam roller, as if it were the floor during a normal glute bridge.
3. Raise your lower body into a glute bridge position and find your balance.
4. Alternating between your left and right legs, raise each leg in the air whilst holding the glute bridge. Continue raising and lowering your legs, with your feet meeting the foam roller each time they descend.
5. Try to repeat this exercise 15-20 times. If you don’t feel a burning in your glutes, make sure your feet are placed parallel to your shoulders, and your foam roller is not placed too far away from your body.
Exercise 3: Skater Squat, step by step
1. Place the foam roller at the side of your exercise mat, and place one foot on the foam roller, making sure you can hold your balance.
2. Place your hands behind your back to create equilibrium and protect your back and core.
3. Begin to lower your body into a squat position, your foot still placed firmly on the foam roller.
4. Once you have your balance, begin to squat with the leg on the roller pushing the roller back and forth in time with your squat. Do this a couple of times until you have mastered the movement – and be careful of your balance!
Foam Roller Benefits For Glutes
There are numerous benefits to using a foam roller on your glutes, both in terms of aiding any existing recovery and helping you build your bum with varying exercise moves. The foam roller is doubly beneficial for your bum, as the ridged texture stimulates the skin whilst the roller itself adds resistance to your workout.
Relieve muscle soreness
If you’ve been burning yourself out in the gym trying to get your butt in tip-top condition for bikini season, your glutes might feel tight and sore. This is normal, especially if you’re lifting weights, as the muscle builds itself by tearing and repairing itself over and over again. If your bum muscles are sore, try using the foam roller to relieve tight glutes.
The foam roller helps improve your body’s circulation, which in turn nourishes your skin cells and keeps your skin in optimal condition.
Great for beginners
If you’re new to exercise and the idea of lifting weights is too intimidating – or, if you’re recovering from an injury and need low-impact equipment – the foam roller is a great addition to your workout. The foam roller helps you to add resistance without relying on heavy weights.
Using a foam roller on a regular basis will help with your mobility, coordination, and balance, as the roller forces your body to engage various muscles to keep your balance when performing exercises.
Improved balance and coordination means better physical performance, which means better squats, glute bridges and hip thrusts, which means a better, more bootylicious bum! When it comes to the human body, everything is connected!
Improve the appearance of cellulite on your bum
Whilst we can’t yet tout this as a miracle remedy for cellulite, some foam rollers claim to be able to help diminish the appearance of the unsightly bum dimples that plague all of us during bikini season. How does it work? Apparently, the stimulation of the skin from the foam roller can help break down what is called “fascia”, meaning the skin’s connective tissue (and the tissue responsible for that pesky cellulite.) The verdict is still out on this one, but why not give it a go and see for yourself?
Using a foam roller for your glutes
The foam roller is a great little accessory for your bum building routine, whether it be for nourishing the skin or helping you grow that perfect, perky peach! But don’t forget to always make sure to consult your doctor before beginning any new workout or exercise programme.
I’m Chloe – a body confidence writer here at House of Peach! I help women to feel fabulous in the body they’re in and feel amazing in gym wear – regardless of their body shape and type. Unleash Your Peach.